How To Determine The Right Price For Your Business
Ways To Properly Determine An Approximate Value Of Your Business
When you are getting ready to sell your Phoenix business or a business in the metro area, you’re probably wondering how much your business is actually worth and what you can expect to net from the sale. Being able to accurately estimate the value of your business can help you set reasonable expectations, make better business decisions, and ultimately enable you to find the right buyer when you’re ready to sell.
A business valuation, performed by an experienced Business Broker, will tell you what you can expect to sell your business for on the open market. To calculate this number, your Phoenix Business Broker, who knows this area very well, will utilize various valuation methodologies that take into account, your business assets, earnings, debts, accounts receivables, and accounts payable, among other things.
If you’ve never sold a business before, you’ll be able to find some online resources that can help you determine an approximate value of your business. However, the most accurate and reliable way to calculate the value of your business is by working with a Certified Business Intermediary (CBI) in your local area who has experience in the field and will take all of the unique factors of your business into account.
Keys Components of Determining the Value of Your Business
Get Your Finances Organized
Since this process can be complicated, consulting a professional is very important. If you are anywhere in central Arizona, use a Phoenix Business Broker who understands how to properly value a business. Before you can even think about how to value your business, you’ll need to get your finances in order. Collect and organize documents, including:
You can expect any serious buyer to want to review your financials to understand how profitable your business is. Preparing this information will help you maintain realistic expectations about the value of your business and promote confidence and accuracy in your final calculations.
Once you’ve assembled your documents, start by calculating your Seller’s Discretionary Earnings (SDE). You will use your Profit & Loss Statements and tax returns to determine this number. The value of a small business is usually determined by the SDE of the business (By the way, SDE is what banks use to determine the value of a business for an SBA loan). Seller’s Discretionary Earnings (SDE) is defined as the earnings of the business before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortization, one owner’s salary/compensation, owner’s benefits, discretionary expenses, as well as one-time and non-business related income and expense items.
Take Stock Of Your Business Assets
Although it can be tricky to put a financial value on all the assets related to your business, it’s a necessary part of the process if you want to be compensated properly for the business you’ve built. Make a list of your tangible assets including inventory, furniture, fixtures, equipment, and company vehicles. Also, make a list of any intangible assets, such as intellectual property, and patents. Seek the advice of a Certified Business Intermediary (CBI) for guidance.
If You Are In Arizona, Work With The Best Business Broker In The Industry: Phil Reese
Phil Reese, CBI, is your #1 choice for selling your Phoenix business. He has extensive experience and a full understanding of how to properly value businesses. Phil can help you maximize your selling price and guide you through every step of the complex process of selling a business. Schedule your consultation today!
Written By: Phil Reese
Phil Reese – Arizona Business Broker
7077 E. Marilyn Road, Bldg. 4 Suite 200
More from my site
- Quarterly Survey Shows that Business Transactions are Up Quarterly Survey Shows that Business Transactions are Up Thanks to Low Interest Rates and Increased Marketplace Confidence The Main Street Market Remains a Buyer's Market, but the Trend […]
- Will a Tenant Improvement Result in Better Resale Value for My Business & Commercial Property? Will a Tenant Improvement Result in Better Resale Value for My Business & Commercial Property? If you own a commercial property and the business that is run out of it, making […]
- How Do I Find a Buyer For My Business? That’s easy. Hire an experienced Business Broker to market your business and don’t try to do it yourself. Here are some of the things I do to market my listings and attract potential buyers!
- How Are Business Acquisitions Financed? When buying or selling a business in Phoenix, it is important to know upfront how deals get financed so there are no surprises or false expectations.
- Proper Valuation of Your Business and How It Is Conducted. Properly valuation of your business is key to selling it for a fair price. Make sure the methods being used to do your valuation are industry standard best practice, and take into account […]
- How To Choose A Tempe Business Broker How To Choose A Tempe Business Broker Choosing the right Tempe Business Broker to sell your business is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. If you choose right, you […]
- Buying Or Selling A Business As An Asset Sale vs A Stock Sale: What’s The Difference? Buying or Selling a Business as an Asset Sale vs a Stock Sale: What’s The Difference? What Type Of Business Sale Option Is Best For You? If you are thinking about buying or selling a business, you might not know of the different types of business sale options. Most businesses...
- How To Be Prepared For A Buyer’s Due Diligence How To Be Prepared For A Buyer’s Due Diligence Getting Ready For a Due Diligence When Selling Your Business If you are preparing to sell your business, you’ll hear a lot about “due diligence.” In essence, this refers to the efforts that a potential buyer utilizes to research a business...
- Business for Sale: How Long Does It Take to Sell? Business for Sale: How Long Does It Take to Sell? Arizona Business Broker Explains How Long It Takes To Sell A Business Once you decide to sell your business, you may be in a hurry to get it done as quickly as possible because financial difficulties or family issues have...
- Ready for Retirement? Preparing Your Business For Sale Ready for Retirement? Preparing Your Business For Sale Ways To Properly Sell Your Business While Retiring If you’re getting ready for retirement, you might be starting to think about selling your Phoenix business. This can be an emotional and difficult decision for many business owners who are attached to the...
- Why Do People Sell Their Business? Why Do People Sell Their Business? There are many things to consider when selling your small business and many precautions to take along the way. The first thing is to identify your WHY? Why are you selling your business? The answer can change everything, from how fast you can sell...
- Is This a Good Time To Sell My Business? Is This a Good Time To Sell My Business? The answer is… Actually, there are three possible answers…Yes, Maybe, or No It depends on what category your business falls in. The answer is Yes if the following apply. 1. Your business is profitable. Preferably making at least $100K a year...
- opt – test ...